Searching for...

Thursday 9 August 2012

Anne Elliot's 225th Birthday Party! {Persuasion by Jane Austen}

Yes!  
It's true!
Today is the Birthday of my fave Jane Austen character, 
Anne Elliot!
Her 225th Birthday  to be exact !

Born on August 9th, 1787
as described in the opening of "Persuasion"...


Sounds like enough cause for a celebration to me!

Enough reason for EnJoying some cake?
Considering her elder sister, Elizabeth, 
and  father, Sir Walter Elliot's, disregard of her, 
it's likely her birthdays went uncelebrated after the passing of her mother.
Maybe we can fill that gap?

Shall we enjoy our celebration at Anne's ancestral home
Kellynch Hall?




I'm thinking
we might enjoy an afternoon stroll through the grounds,
then head indoors for generous servings
of some deliteful confection such as
this typical homey but delish plum sponge - 
Source - Simply Recipes
from fruit in season and readily available ~
or Victorian Sponge
Source TY Apple Crumbles !

{ with cook's favour}
or possibly ~
Please pass the Jane Austen teapot cookies?

all, of course, with a pot of tea !?...


 from a  Jane Austen -- letter of June 15, 1808
"You know how interesting the purchase of a sponge-cake is to me."

If you have time,
I'd love to watch the Persuasion movie adaptation 
Care to join me?
1995 version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds
is my fave... which is yours?


Here's a lovely clip called 'You're the One'
with music by another favourite of mine,
Moya  Brennan,
Irish singer and elder sister of Enya..

Definitely taking time out for a full celebration of 
All things Anne ! 

Captain Wentworth with our lovely Anne ~


Feeling relaxed and refreshed?
Great!!

In case you're interested in finding out 
which JA character you are~


Thank you for joining me in honouring the lovely woman
of Jane's creation, 
Anne Elliot !

More great Summer Blog Reading HERE

No Ordinary Blog Hop

Thursday Favorite Things

19 comments:

Linda said...

A book I must revisit someday...nice post this morning! Loved the photo of the stately home with the critters in front!

Susan Kaye said...

Happy Birthday, Anne.

I have to say, most of the promo shots for the Hinds/Root version of Persuasion are a hoot. They look as if they had just been fighting tooth and nail when the photographer yelled, "Say cheese!"

Anyway, the birthday girl has had a good run. And many more to come.

Roof Beam Reader said...

Oh, boy - I could dive into that sponge cake right now! ;)

Great post - lots of fun! Thanks for sharing with our Austen in August group!

maggie said...

Lovely post!
I'm reading Persuasion for 'Austen in August' (my second time). Anne Elliot is my favorite Austen character also.
So Happy Birthday Anne!
Thank you.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

Thanks all for sharing the B'day FuN!

Robin Helm said...

Amanda Root is my favorite Anne, but Rupert Penry-Jones is my favorite Wentworth. Sad to say, in the contest between Best Anne and Hot Wentworth, Hot Wentworth usually wins at our house. What can I say? I'm shallow. ;)

Antiques And Teacups said...

Wonderful! I didn't know I shared Anne's birthday! The movie with Amanda Root is my favorite version. I love the Jane cookies! So cute! What a great post!
Ruth

Two Cottages And Tea said...

The sweets look so so good! I watched the movie last tuesday night! It is fun to see your post!
Nancy

Jenna said...

What a lovely post! I just finished reading Persuasion for the first time last night. Anne Elliot is certainly a wonderful character. :)

Bernideen said...

this is a great post - I love the Anne character as well. Her father and sister were rather "empty" people but she had great character and qualities that were greater.

Barbara Tiller Cole said...

I am reading Persuasion for ‘Austen in August’ as well. So this is just perfect. Thanks for the invitation to the party!

Anonymous said...

Anne Elliot is my favorite Austen Heroine too. I also vote for Amanda Root and Cirian Hinds, they will always be Anne Elliot and Captian Wentworth in my mind.

Thanks for a lovely reminder of my favorites .

Unknown said...

I've always liked Anne but when I did the quiz, I was Elizabeth Bennett. Do I get Collin Firth?

KarenMC said...

I love Persuasion, and Anne Eliot! She's a woman of true quality. Happy Birthday, Mrs. Wentworth!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, what lovely deserts! Love the teacup and teapot too. Wonderful post celebrating a delightful heroine. Enjoy your weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Love Of Quilts said...

Persuasion sounds like a book I would like to read.

Kathy said...

What a marvelous post! So very inspired! To remember this birthday - I love that version of Persuasion - I'll have to put on a pot of tea and watch it! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday - thank you too for the desktop calendars! Beautiful!
Kathy

Jane Odiwe said...

I love this post - how clever of you to realise it was her birthday - she's getting on a bit, isn't she?
I share your fondness for the Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root adaptation - my favourite!

Anonymous said...

Wow those were great pics and a great post. Makes me want to run for the fridge tho' and see what dessert might be lurking or find a recipe for the ones you have listed. I enjoy the Hinds/Root version myself. They do the letter part so much better than any other I've seen. I have come to like the Penry-Jones version but not for it's accuracy as much as the emotion portrayed and as stated above the "hot" factor. That kiss on the street toward the end however is revolting. Makes me cringe. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel. Then P&P.

Related Posts with Thumbnails